12 February 2010

trash telly...

i rarely watch telly. in fact, when we moved back to the states, i begged uncle sugar to sell our sets. instead, he purchased one the size of a very. skinny. man.

this is called good communication.

because i was clearly delusional, but uncle sugar saw through my crazy and knew...just knew deep in his black heart...that a telly, while grotesque and incomprehensible to me, saves lives. i didn't want the truth because deep down in places i don't talk about at parties, i want one on my wall. i need one on my wall.




maybe it's the blizzard fever talking, but he was right.

so i'm changing my original sentence to i rarely don't watch telly. not really, but give me a reality show marathon? oh, i'm in.

which is how i happened to be watching millionaire matchmaker with lilie and grae. not my finest moment, i know. i know.

fast forward to exactly where one man kissed another man. and the girlies two turned all ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

whoa. MY girlies? throwing down judgy? i almost lost it.

the next ten minutes were full of you think that's gross? have you smelled lill's retainer lately? and if you want to change people to be just like you, let's start small. convince mémé to wear something besides brown polka dotted pants with her halloween shirt from target. {sob} and it will break my heart if you turn out to be the type of people who have small views about love.




and then it was the end of commercial break, so we all silently set about watching again. a little while later, uncle sugar walked into the room and kissed me.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

oh. i see. i'd forgotten they are ten and eleven. any kissing is gross.

sometimes i get ahead of myself. do you ever do this? fight when it's not even a real fight? say yes...

pages from one of my favorite books. may i bring a friend? by beatrice schenk de regniers. happy weekend, friends. hope it's filled with all sorts of love and many. icky. kisses.

18 comments:

HannahB said...

hee hee! this made me laugh... lots.

emily b. said...

1. MUAH! :)
2. i am guilty of still wearing my halloween shirt from target...only because it has just about the cutest little ghosty on the front and i can't bear to not wear it...
3. as for getting ahead of myself...hello, all the time! :)

happy weekend, karey m.!!

xo, em

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

Jinx, too funny. We have had almost identical conversations in this little dwelling too.

Natalie said...

Too funny! Yes, I am very good at fighting when there is really no fight.

mimi charmante said...

once again, you have illustrated why. i. love. you.
will you be my valentine?
bisous

Uncle Beefy said...

Like on big chocolate kiss ya' are, Miss Karey! :) Thanks for keepin' a lookout on the love front, m'dear. At first read of the "eeewwww" I too first thought about the whole "boy germs" dynamic.

Anyhoozles, wishing you and your's a very HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY just awash in sloppy kisses! ;)

Unknown said...

Oh, yes! I totally do that! Especially when I think it has something to do with intolerance, I get all uppity and then....oh. I realize I got ahead of my girls. You are the best, you know? Hot damn! :)
xo
Melis

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brandi said...

i completely admit to fighting not-real fights. my boyfriend and i had a long one today about microwaving plastic containers. really. i know.
anyways, i was a bit moody afterward, but we made up, got chinese food and cheesecake (and are allowing a sufficient amount of time to lapse before eating the cheesecake), and are watching the only tv we really like to watch: the daily show and the colbert report (we watch burn notice too and video chat while we're doing it since we're on different coasts). i'm really with you on the television thing. i worry my future kids that don't yet exist won't read enough. but then i remind yourself that when the time comes, i'm going to reread your posts and absorb good ideas from you.

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

krista said...

well, you're fighting the good fight, even if it's imaginary.
and i know i had other things to say right now but i'm a bit bamboozled by anonymous up there.
'genial post'...indeed.

karey m. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Relyn Lawson said...

It's early Valentine's Day morning and I had to stop by and wish you a great one. A wish from me:

On this day, may you know, really know how much you are loved. May you recognize love in all it's forms. May you be grateful for the love of children and pets, old friendships and your Uncle Sugar. May your heart swell with all the beauty this life brings. Happy Valentine's Day, my friend.

Maria | Vintage Simple said...

I've done the same thing. And then I've felt a pang of horror at having *introduced* the idea of something hateful. And I feel foolish and small...

Sigh. But I like Krista's kind take on it - and I believe she's got a point...no?

xoxo,
-maria

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I love this. And that is one of my very favorite books from childhood. I received my copy circa 1970something and it is inscribed to me from my first best friend Heather (c/o Heather's mommy - but still...)

Lauren said...

karey i don't think i could possibly tell you just how much this post hit me in more ways than one. it's a beautiful thing to see people who don't pass judgement on love, in any form it comes in.

sometimes trash telly is the best telly, i tell you.

hoping your day has been filled with icky kisses and lots of love with both uncle sugar and the girlies three.

(in celebration of how much you made my day with this post i decided to send my love to you with no caps. cheers!)

Brown Button Trading said...

Beautiful. As always xxxxx

mrs. darling said...

you definately make me want to be a better person, in every way.