25 January 2010

alt...

if there's one thing you should know about me by now, it's that i'll never make you feel badly about missing something. whether it's a party or my birthday or even one of my most aggro two-handed forehands on the off chance we ever play tennis together. {call it out. i don't care. i hate keeping score.}

but if there's one other thing you should really know about me by now, it's that i can't keep a secret.

i won't tell you what a thrill it was to mingle with such a brilliant bunch of creatives at alt design summit. i won't. unless you ask. i also won't even mention how even the most seasoned bloggers walked away from alt with fresh inspiration. nope.




you know how i am with compliments, and you probably know how i cringe whenever i hit publish. but to learn that she struggles with all that nonsense just as much? made me breathe a little easier. i was smitten three seconds after meeting her.

but that's all i'll say about that. because if you knew what you were missing when you missed the chance to meet everyone...oh, what the what. i'm getting tired of all this secrecy. and you'd feel worse if i didn't tell you, right?

briefly, then.

i was super nervous to meet jaime of design milk. i mean...she's it. no need. she was even cooler than her space, if you can imagine that. erin from design for mankind should be in the dictionary under - to borrow a term from melissa - effervescent. and the two of them together? a genius combination.




when maggie mason speaks, you should listen. and write it down.

i nearly clapped when vané from brooklyn bride walked into the room. wait. i did clap. and i turned absolutely pink when i saw the little sprite danni of oh, hello friend in the front row during my panel.

nicole from making it lovely is - no surprise - exactly that. she giggled and shrugged whenever a design superstar walked up to her and gushed. this happened a lot. and allison from petit elefant gets the biggest eyes whenever she says something to make me laugh. like, oh? did that amuse you? yes. it did. this also happened a lot.

i met a new-to-me blogger who fast became a new-to-me friend. her name is shayna roosevelt. she has amazing brows and an even better smile that lit up the lounge at the grand america.

and you already know how i feel about kelly of design crush and caroline duke from greedy girl. they were like little sisters. huge emphasis on little. man...they are petite!

as opposed to the two leggy supermodels i spied all the way in the back row. i recognized {and probably embarrassed the heck out of!} her, but enjoyed her simply because she was cool and friendly and beyond stylish. the next day, i asked my lunch dates to point out kirsten grove. turns out, we'd already met. ugh.

if i'm speaking of stylish and pretty much every other cool adjective, verb, noun, and interjection, i'd be hella remiss if i didn't mention janel of apartment therapy. i first noticed her stylish chop, the just-right shade of red on her lips, and a covetable black wardrobe. but there are giant brains behind that beauty, and an even bigger sense of humor. one of my favorite finds at alt, for sure.




it'll be no surprise that chelsea of frolic! floored me with her openness and expertise she was excited to share, and i found myself a little envious of kathryn's firm little set of rules and way way envious of her stunning complexion and widow's peak. and no surprise that gayla made me want to grow something, monica made me want to learn everything, sheila made my jaw drop with her idea bubbles, and emily made me want to move. or maybe she just moved me. whatever.

my first two bloggers i ever read were there. only a few hours after telling oh joy! that i'd memorized every one of her posts since 2005, we were eating sushi together. but did i introduce myself to dooce? no. i chickened out.

i was standing there, totally psyching myself up for an embarrassing rambling gush-fest, and then it all sort of reminded me of the only other time in my life i waited anxiously to talk to a real. live. star. i was six or seven and wearing a bathing suit, swimming at our town's hotel pool, when i caught sight of liberace. i ran as fast as my soaked, pudgy little body could, and greeted him with my giant smile at the bottom of the stairs. he chucked me under my double chin, and said three words i'll never. ever. forget.

hello, little fella.

i didn't want to chance it.




joslyn? did you think i'd forget you? as if. i just don't have shiny enough words to tell you what an absolute and indisputable real friend you are. not a shocker, but you are my girl. and you are the neatest. person. evvvvv. vvvvver. that last part is not true, but my adoration for you is. the end.

a heartfelt thank-you to gabrielle of design mom fame for organizing alt summit. she and her family are king in my book. and by family, i also mean her and her. it was no surprise to me that this event turned out so well. it was organized by kirtsy. and if i've forgotten anyone i met and loved? remind me sweetly, will you? i raced to write this while esmé coated the house in pink glitter. not a bad thing, exactly...

photos not taken at alt. rather, all photos via heroines.

30 comments:

Upside Up said...

Best Alt recap I've read yet. And no surprise, it's from you.

I swear to all that is holy and good, I could spend hours just being in the same room with you.

xo

Kelly said...

perfect words, karey!

xo
kelly

Melissa de la Fuente said...

Oh my, it sounds like such a fantastic blast and I am so, SO glad you had such fantastic time! I will be there next year, I just have to be! :)
xoxo
Melis
ps you are amazing, I bet you made every single one of those ladies feel like a superstar, it takes one to know one. :)

Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Alt Summit was 1000 watts of light brighter because of your presence. So, so glad you were there!

Stash said...

Great post! Your attention to detail is spectacular! Would have loved to have been there. Maybe next year. Thanks again for the mention!

Jane Flanagan said...

I'm so happy you had a great time! And, yes, I'm still envious too. But I'll get over it...

Lauren said...

open in new tab. open in new tab. open in new tab. Whew. I had to start a new window, come back to this post and keep going. Open in new tab...you get it.

So many lovely bloggers, so many great people, and you of course, summed it up so beautifully with your words.

I'm off to finish browsing the blogs I didn't know about, so thank you!!

chelsea said...

Awww. It really was the best little group ever, wasn't it?

ellie @ mint said...

loved reading this!!

erin / design for mankind said...

omg best round-up ever. i feel the saaaame way about ever single person here. and i miss you. is that possible?

move to indiana. do it. ;)

Joslyn said...

i just got misty.

i did.

p.s. i am not messy.

love you.

Vane @ Brooklyn Bride said...

i have such a girl crush on you right now!

la la Lovely said...

Oh I'm glad you had such a great time.. it sounds super cool all around. So fun to hear about it!
x Trina

sfgirlbybay said...

damn. you're a great writer. talented, and nice. what a wonderful combination. :)

Megan @ Pink O'Clock said...

karey. your words are perfect. and i want to go to alt next year!

welcome back. :)

Shayna said...

oh Karey...wow. I feel a little bit like I spent those 3 days in an alternate universe. I can't remember the last time that I've felt so welcomed, supported, encouraged and insanely in awe of every person in the room. Thanks for remembering all of the little details that made it so special. Miss all of you ladies...

oh, hello friend. said...

love your followup karey!
you were such a delight to meet.

and seriously: you are such an inspiration. i want to move to another country.. cause of all your awesome stories from alt.

can't wait for next year!

xo. danni

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

Wow, what a fantastic recount, makes me even more kick-the-dirt-and-humph-into-a-chair about missing it. i've been such a girly la la and doing some behind the scenes investigations - asking people to 'tell me how it all went down', and it gets more and more exciting by the minute.

Still in love with the fact that i made the list, and true love like this runs deep!

thanks karey - still floating :)

jules

Jaime said...

you are seriously like the sweetest lady on the planet! Wish we could spend lots more time together!! xo

joy said...

seriously amazing post and so glad to have met you!

Estelle Hayes said...

Um, "hello little fella" are you kidding me? I'm sorry. You seem like a rock star to me.

And I love Beth Retro's photos. She's amazing.

Loving your blog. I'm relatively new around here.

janel said...

karey,
you are entirely too wonderful for words. thanks so much for your kindness!

marta said...

the best ALT wrap-up i've seen yet. salt lake is my hometown yet i couldn't go to this fabulous convention. so happy to hear it was a huge success. hope to see you there next year. thanks for all the fun details; through your eyes. what a doll you are.

Apt. #34 said...

wow, ok now I really am jealous! It sounds like an amazing time. I hope some the learning gets shared!

Making it Lovely said...

Ah, how sweet are you? Wasn't Alt fantastic? I miss you and everyone else already. (And those business cards of yours, by the way? Love them.)

Petit Elefant said...

Oh, you make my heart happy and warm and I'll gladly break bread with you in any city, anywhere.

Thank you for tolerating, and laughing at, my many neuroses.

xoxoxoxo

christine said...

whoa! amazing post! It was such a huge dream come true to meet my blogging idols. They are the reason why I do what I do. Alt was one of the best experiences I have ever had. thanks for this lovely reminder of that special time.

dee said...

You know I heart you, right? Well, this is the one time I heart you maybe just a little less. Because I wish that much more now that I had been there, too.

My bottom lip is curled and my forehead is all scrunched up. In case you wanted to know.

Jen Lover said...

So glad to have met you...so thankful for your advice...and SO happy we live in the same place. Let's have lunch. Soon.

Monica Danna said...

karey, it was so great to met you! hope to run into you again this year. woo!